Compression on the Stereo Bus
Today we're talking about stereo bus compression. If you hear me talking about "two bus" I use those terms interchangeably. We're gonna go over three things. First I'm going to talk about why we even need compression on the stereo bus. Then I'm gonna tell you about what to listen for when you do implement a compressor on the stereo bus. And then I'm gonna tell you how I do it, how some of my friends do it (don't tell them I told you) and then I'm gonna show you a couple things with plug-ins and outboard gear. Let's jump right into it.
I'm guessing we started seeing a need for compressors early on, back in the days of mono radio when everybody wanted to have the strongest signal possible and they used a compressor or a limiter (and there's a difference) to make sure that the radio signal didn't get above a certain level. When the transmitters in a radio station get past a certain level, they start distorting. If you've ever wondered why commercials are louder than the show, the main reason is because those guys have some incredible compressors and they're able to get their levels maxed out.
![]() |
| Gates STA Level Compressor |
![]() |
| Dave Pensado Waves L2 Ultramaximizer Preset |
I very rarely leave it this way because every song is different.
Atten
-3db
ARC
Sometimes use ARC, sometimes set it manually
Bypass
Obviously listen to before and after. Sometimes you'll like it better with the compressor. Sometimes it's better off.
Gain
To make a fair test, you have to make up the amount of gain that you lose with a gain control. That's why every compressor has a gain control.
As I compress more, I lose a little volume. We make up that volume with the Output Gain.
Compression as an EffectARC
Sometimes use ARC, sometimes set it manually
Bypass
Obviously listen to before and after. Sometimes you'll like it better with the compressor. Sometimes it's better off.
Gain
To make a fair test, you have to make up the amount of gain that you lose with a gain control. That's why every compressor has a gain control.
![]() |
| Dave Pensado Waves VComp Preset |
Sometimes compression can be used not as a tool, but as an effect. In dance music we use compression to enhance some of the pumping elements.
- On stereo bus compression, less is more. Several of my good friends that I just spoke to recently about getting some information. Everybody from Chris Lord-Alge to Jaycen Joshua pretty much say the same thing: just kind of kiss the needle, let it move the smallest amount possible. Less is more when it comes to the stereo bus.
- When you're trying to find your release time, crank the threshold down stupid. Then you can hear it pumping. When it's pumping, you can set the release where it sounds like it's in time. Then let the threshold come back up to where you're just barely kissing it.
- If you start to notice things like your snare changing, you might want to increase your attack time. In other words, you let a few more of your transients through before the compressor's threshold catches the signal and brings it down by the amount of the ratio.
- Sometimes you'll find that when you add compression, you'll lose a little bit of the low end. I haven't done any experiments but I have a feeling you're not losing low end as much as you're gaining top end.
Dave also points out some other great resources.
Michael Brauer's website - I learned a lot just going to that website recently. Go check out that website, click some of the links, and read what Michael says. I think he really understands compression.
Manny Marroquin - Manny uses compressors in a very musical way on the stereo bus.
Jack Joseph Puig - Very musical
Chris Lord Alge - Chris is the master of compression and every usage of it that there is.
Jaycen Joshua - I love what Jaycen's doing. Very musical. He's the new kid on the block (2011) and he's using compressors in a really nice way.
Jack Joseph Puig - Very musical
Chris Lord Alge - Chris is the master of compression and every usage of it that there is.
Jaycen Joshua - I love what Jaycen's doing. Very musical. He's the new kid on the block (2011) and he's using compressors in a really nice way.



No comments:
Post a Comment